Vacuum Skin Packaging (VSP):
Whereas MAP Packaging modifies the atmosphere, Vacuum Skin Packaging (VSP) removes all the air within the packaging for a skin-tight presentation. Vacuum Skin Packaging is often used in the following markets – Seafood, Meat/Poultry, and Meal Prep. During this process on the ILPRA Tray Sealer, the trays are filled with the desired product and brought into the automatic or semi-automatic machine. From there, the cycle begins by the chamber closing, and the “skin film” is vacuum stretched to the upper teflon coated domed. Once that film is heated and stretched, it is pulled by vacuum down to the product to the precise millibar set point. When the vacuum cycle is complete, the knife comes down and cuts the film, in profile to the tray.
The advantages to this style of packaging are:
- Excellent retail appearance with vertical presentation
- Greatest result in shelf life
- HPP Stable
- Higher reduction of food loss
- Puncture resistant
- Ideal for distribution and shipping via general carriers.
- Self-venting for even heat distribution during microwaving.